Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Best Come Back Ever

“That was very ungenerous of you, Miss Eliza, to lie to Mr. Darcy’s face like that. Quite distasteful. I have to say that I will think twice before I believe anything else you say,” Caroline jabbed. She and Louisa shared a glance of victory before the former fixed her steely gaze back on Elizabeth.

“You look very lovely today, Miss Bingley,” Elizabeth simply replied with a sweet smile. Almost every occupant in the room, including Georgiana and the cufflink absorbed Mr. Hurst, stifled a smile.

*

That one really got me laughing. Of course, it was 1:00 a.m., and there was no one awake to share it with, but I cracked up none the less. It was like I was sitting in the corner taking notes while everyone interacted, and I was so proud of Elizabeth standing up to snotty Caroline like that. I'm not as clever or as bold as Elizabeth, but I sure would like to be her when I grow up.

Worked a little on Chapter 3 today. Elizabeth runs into Col. Fitzwilliam at a ball in London and sparks fly. In P&P he is quite charming and Elizabeth develops a crush on him, but it was never explored in any screen adaptation that I have seen, so I thought he might have to be Darcy's rival for at least a little while, but I don't think I'm through with Wickham yet either.

I'm going to take a break and read a P&P modern adaptation that just came from Amazon today. Research, you know... the fun kind. I will let you know if I like it, but won't name names if I don't, since I don't want to offend any fellow Austen writers.

Good night for now, and please forgive me Jane...

No comments:

Post a Comment